This purpose of this course is to define, outline transmission, and explain the symptoms, complications, and treatments for sickle cell disease.
Course Publication Date: June 30, 2010
This course is available with NO ADDITIONAL FEE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Wanda Lockwood RN, BA, MA
|Delivery Method:||Online Self Study
|Category:||Community & Home Health
Emergency & Trauma Medicine
Leadership & Case Management
Medical & Surgical Issues
NOTE: The course expired on 12/31/2012.
- Describe the differences between a normal red blood cell and a sickled cell.
- List 5 common variations of sickle cell disease.
- Explain how sickle cell disease is transmitted.
- List and describe 4 types of crises in sickle cell disease.
- Explain how organ damage occurs with sickle cell disease.
- Discuss symptoms and treatment for acute chest syndrome.
- Describe at least 6 other complications of sickle cell disease.
- Describe at least 4 medications used for sickle cell disease.
- Describe at least 3 other treatments used for sickle cell disease.
- Explain the difference between episodic and chronic transfusions.