The purpose of this course is to define heat-related illnesses, to explain the diagnosis, the causes, the symptoms, the complications, the treatments, and preventive measures.
Course Publication Date: November 20, 2010
This course is available with NO ADDITIONAL FEE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Wanda Lockwood RN, BA, MA
|Delivery Method:||Online Self Study
|Category:||Community & Home Health
Critical Care Medicine
Emergency & Trauma Medicine
Leadership & Case Management
Medical & Surgical Issues
NOTE: The course expired on 12/31/2013.
- Identify 3 categories of heat-related illness.
- Describe 4 mechanisms the skin uses to maintain temperature balance.
- List and describe at least 5 types of heat stress disorders.
- Differentiate between the 2 types of heat exhaustion.
- List and explain the 2 types of heat stroke.
- Describe the major body systems that can be affected by heat stroke.
- Discuss treatment for major complications of heat stroke.
- Describe methods to reduce body heat.
- Discuss methods to prevent heat-related illness.
- Explain first aid procedures outside of the hospital.
- Discuss temperature increase in enclosed cars.