The purpose of this course is to define heat-related illnesses, to explain the diagnosis, the causes, the symptoms, the complications, the treatments, and preventive measures.
This course is available for FREE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Wanda Lockwood RN, BA, MA
|Method:||Online Self Study
|Date Offered:||3/11/2014 7:30 PM - 7:30 PM
|Categories:||Community & Home Health
Critical Care Medicine
Emergency & Trauma Medicine
Leadership & Case Management
Medical & Surgical Issues
NOTE: The course expired on 12/31/2013.
- Identify 3 categories of heat-related illness.
- Describe 4 mechanisms the skin uses to maintain temperature balance.
- List and describe at least 5 types of heat stress disorders.
- Differentiate between the 2 types of heat exhaustion.
- List and explain the 2 types of heat stroke.
- Describe the major body systems that can be affected by heat stroke.
- Discuss treatment for major complications of heat stroke.
- Describe methods to reduce body heat.
- Discuss methods to prevent heat-related illness.
- Explain first aid procedures outside of the hospital.
- Discuss temperature increase in enclosed cars.