The purpose of this course is to define blood, to provide a brief history of blood practices, to describe the current transfusion practices, explain blood typing, to describe the different components of blood and how they function in the body, to describe tests associated with these components, and to explain phagocytosis and blood clotting mechanisms.
This course is available with NO ADDITIONAL FEE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Wanda Lockwood RN, BA, MA
|Method:||Online Self Study
|Categories:||Critical Care Medicine
Emergency & Trauma Medicine
Leadership & Case Management
Medical & Surgical Issues
NOTE: The course expired on 12/31/2013.
- Define blood.
- Explain the origin of blood cells.
- List the components of blood.
- List 5 types of leukocytes.
- Explain the implications of hemoglobin and hematocrit results.
- Discuss the history of bloodletting and transfusions.
- List the two primary blood typing systems.
- Explain 4 types of autologous transfusions.
- Discuss the importance of plasma.
- Explain the 6 steps of phagocytosis.
- Explain the 2 step blood-clotting process.