The purpose of this course is to increase the base of knowledge of the professional nurse with regard to pain and pain management. Different types and different classifications of pain will be presented. Medications used to manage pain are also included in this course of study. Other treatment measures utilized to manage pain will be presented.
This course is available for FREE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Gloria Tartaglia RN
|Method:||Online Self Study
|Course Expiration:||12/31/2014 NOTE: The course must be completed by the expiration date to receive credit
NOTE: The course expired on 12/31/2014.
- Define pain.
- Describe acute, subacute, and chronic pain.
- Differentiate nociceptive and non-nociceptive pain.
- Describe somatic, visceral, and neuropathic pain.
- List most commonly prescribed opioids.
- State the different routes of administering opiods.
- State key points regarding certain opioids.
- List non-opioid analgesics as over the counter (OTC) or prescription analgesics.
- Describe other treatment modalities used to relieve pain.
- List side effects/risks associated with using opioids/non-opioids.