The goal of this course is to update the nurse’s knowledge relating to the management of the young patient with type 1 diabetes.
This course is available for FREE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Anita Rothera RNC, BS, CDE
|Method:||Online Self Study
|Date Offered:||12/11/2013 2:23 PM - 2:23 PM
|Categories:||Critical Care Medicine
Emergency & Trauma Medicine
Medical & Surgical Issues
Nutrition & Fitness & Complimentary
NOTE: The course expired on 12/31/2012.
- Discuss the 5-year study called SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth.
- Explain how diabetes self-management training (DSMT) in children and adolescents with diabetes and their parents is different from that of adults.
- Describe the concepts of medical nutrition therapy for children and adolescents so that there is provision for normal growth and development and optimal glycemic control.
- Describe the parental burden of managing a child’s diabetes and the benefit of social networks and support.
- Describe the acute and chronic complications of type 1 diabetes in childhood.
- Identify age-appropriate educational materials and considerations for each group.