The goal of this course is to provide the professional nurse with a basic understanding of epilepsy. Included in this course is an explanation of the various types of seizures and the characteristics of each type. Additionally, medications used to treat epilepsy, side effects, and any drug interactions will be discussed.
This course is available for FREE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Gloria Tartaglia RN
|Method:||Online Self Study
|Categories:||Community & Home Health
Emergency & Trauma Medicine
Leadership & Case Management
Medical & Surgical Issues
- Explain what epilepsy is and its prevalence.
- List the various types of seizures and characteristics of each.
- Explain how to identify status epilepticus and how it is treated.
- List the commonly prescribed antiepileptic drugs, their side effects, and any interactions that may occur.
- Describe the basic mechanisms by which antiepileptic drugs suppress seizure activity.
- List other treatment options for refractory seizures.
- Identify how epilepsy can impact a person’s psychosocial well-being.