The purpose of this course is to increase the understanding of the professional nurse regarding the current problems and health threats facing the morbidly obese patient. A consideration will be given relative to the treatment, support, as well as surgical intervention when undergoing a weight loss program. Upon completion of this course the professional nurse will have an increased understanding of obesity and how it may compromise the well being of obese individuals.
Course Publication Date: July 12, 2012
This course is available with NO ADDITIONAL FEE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Gloria Tartaglia RN
|Delivery Method:||Online Self Study
|Category:||Community & Home Health
Leadership & Case Management
Medical & Surgical Issues
Nutrition & Fitness & Complimentary
Psychiatric & Mental Health
NOTE: The course expired on 12/31/2015.
- Define Body Mass Index and understand how the BMI relates to normal/obese/morbidly obese individuals.
- List the complications or comorbidities of morbid obesity.
- Discuss the origins related to morbid obesity.
- List the types of intervention for individuals labeled morbidly obese and discuss Bariatric Surgery.
- Identify the post-bypass complications and the need for reconstructive surgical procedures post-weight loss.