The purpose of this course is to provide an overview of genetics with an explanation of patterns of inheritance, methods and types of genetic testing, indications for genetic testing, and legal/ethical issues.
Course Publication Date: May 12, 2015
This course is available with NO ADDITIONAL FEE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Wanda Lockwood RN, BA, MA
|Delivery Method:||Online Self Study
|Category:||Leadership & Case Management
Medical & Surgical Issues
- Describe at least 4 important milestones in the history of genetics.
- Explain the basic structure of chromosomes and DNA.
- Explain the difference between mitosis and meiosis.
- Describe 5 types of chromosomal mutation.
- Explain the difference between coding and “junk” DNA.
- List and explain 8 patterns of inheritance.
- Explain 3 main methods for gene tests.
- List and explain at least 4 techniques used for DNA testing.
- Differentiate between cytogenetic and biochemical testing.
- Explain indirect linkage and SNPs.
- List and explain 7 purposes for genetic testing.
- Explain at least 4 indications for genetic testing.
- Discuss issues related to genetic testing.