The purpose of this course is to define astrocytomas/glioblastomas and to explain the diagnosis, the causes, the symptoms, the complications, the treatments, and pre-operative and post-operative management.
Course Publication Date: February 27, 2017
This course is available with NO ADDITIONAL FEE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Wanda Lockwood RN, BA, MA
|Delivery Method:||Online Self Study
|Category:||Community & Home Health
Critical Care Medicine
Leadership & Case Management
Medical & Surgical Issues
- Explain the difference between primary and metastatic tumors.
- Explain the origin of astrocytic tumors.
- List and discuss symptoms of brain tumors in relation to affected region of the brain.
- List and explain at least 5 diagnostic procedures.
- List and explain 3 primary types of treatment for astrocytic brain tumors.
- List and explain the 4 WHO categories for tumors.
- List and discuss general characteristics of 6 astrocytic tumors.
- Explain 3 open surgical approaches.
- Explain the difference between Gamma Knife® and Cyber Knife® radiosurgery.
- List at least 5 preoperative nursing interventions.
- Discuss postoperative nursing interventions.
- List and explain the 3 parameters for the Glasgow Coma Scale.
- Explain the Monroe-Kellie Hypothesis.
- List and discuss at least 5 of 8 common postoperative complications.
- Discuss nursing interventions for patient discharge.