The purpose of this course is to outline the trauma, treatment, and preventive methods involved in bite injuries related to bear and mountain lion attacks as well as to familiarize the healthcare provider with essential facts about these animals.
Course Publication Date: June 10, 2014
This course is available with NO ADDITIONAL FEE
if you have an active one year unlimited membership
|Author:||Wanda Lockwood RN, BA, MA
|Delivery Method:||Online Self Study
|Category:||Community & Home Health
Critical Care Medicine
Emergency & Trauma Medicine
Medical & Surgical Issues
- Describe differences between the black bear and the brown bear.
- Discuss trends in bear attacks.
- Discuss the clinical presentation of bear attack injuries.
- Describe the 4 different classifications of wounds.
- Describe treatment options for bear-attack injuries.
- Describe 3 drug treatments for animal bites.
- Describe compartment syndrome and list the 5 Ps (symptoms).
- Explain 5 elements of peripheral circulation evaluation.
- List guidelines to prevent bear attacks/injuries.
- Describe differences between mountain lions (cougars) and bobcats.
- Discuss trends in mountain lion attacks.
- Discuss injuries common to mountain lion attacks.
- Describe treatment options for mountain lion-associated injuries.
- List guidelines to prevent mountain lion attacks/injuries.